Eligibility & Selection
The American Legion Department of Washington Evergreen Boys State Executive Board has established the below qualifications and eligibility guidelines for prospective Evergreen Boys State citizens. The American Legion Department of Washington Auxiliary has a similar program for girls called Evergreen Girls State.
- Only males who have successfully completed their junior year of high school and have at least one more semester of high school remaining are to be considered as Citizens of Evergreen Boys State. Any boy who has previously attended a Boys State is not eligible to attend a second session. Only boys with outstanding qualities of leadership, character, scholarship, loyalty and service to their schools should be considered for Boys State.
- The selection process varies within The American Legion Department of Washington, but generally the school’s junior class advisors or other instructor make recommendations of qualified young men. The sponsor, or the local American Legion Post, then selects their representatives from those recommendations. All applicants must be selected and approved by a local American Legion Post Commander or a local American Legion Evergreen Boys State Post Chairman. Note: A descriptive Chairman’s Handbook with necessary forms and applications are available for School Administrators and Local Post Chairmen by clicking here.
- Evergreen Boys State aims to allow every interested young man to attend regardless of family financial situation. Costs to attend are $400. If you have financial need you may request tuition assistance from a local American Legion and/or a Sponsor to help pay.
- In the actual selection of young men as Citizens of Evergreen Boys State, merit and ability alone are the basis for selection. No boys are permitted to attend because of either poverty or wealth. Boys State is not a program for underprivileged or troubled youth, nor is it a summer camp for recreation.
- The American Legion Evergreen Boys State is in compliance with federal handicap laws. Should a student have special needs, The American Legion Evergreen Boys State may require a medical/parental assistant and a consent certificate signed by a parent and a registered doctor. All extra expenses for any existing medical needs that may be incurred by The American Legion Evergreen Boys State will be the responsibility of the sponsor or the parents.